Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Doctors 8/9/10

I sat in the living room with my mom, dad, and sister I put the DVR to play House. In this episode Dr. House and his team are thinking of a diagnosis of a man with a giant swollen tongue. The husband of an old patient goes into his office and shoots him. House still treats the patient from the hospital bed. The shooter was next to him, who was shot by security and hand-cuffed, him to his bed. When he wakes up and starts hallucinating periodically he starts doubting if he can diagnose. As his patient's gets worse, he finds out he is hallucinating and tries to trick his brain to get out of it. He said “As long as the delusion made sense my mind lets it go on. I have to make it not make sense. I have to push it past the point where I can trick my mind.” He then argues some more and uses the machine that is used for precision surgery and cuts through the patient to show all the blood come out and his intestine out and covered in blood. My mom turns around, while my dad is looking at the screen all weird and my sis yells, “EWWWW!” Well me I just sit there wondering what got hurt inside. Looking at House’s thought process what he was thinking when he did that. How he knew everything that was going on. How he was so confident.That was just admirable I love doctors. Diagnostics is my favorite part of being a doctor. I want to be a doctor because they don’t only help people they also have “mysteries” they have to solve. Mysteries aren’t only in medicine. There’s also solve mysteries in technology, math, and all kinds of things. For example; why does the computer not turn on or in math what equation do I have to use. Mysteries are fun because they usually follow a category. Medicine only deals with medical things, mathematical things only deal with equations, and computer problems only deal with hardware or software. So it’s not hard to solve them if you know the content. Dr. House (Gregory House) is a character in the show House. He is the head of the diagnostics team. He is a complete jerk and takes great risks but always gets the job done. As Donald says of Dr. House, “Because when you're that big a jerk, you're either great or unemployed,” that means he’s great because he has a job. After watching all the episodes you can tell he is recognized all over the world and treats exclusive patients with all kinds of diseases. He bounces off ideas from his team. I do a lot of that especially with my friend Cesar. He gets epiphany when he talks to another person which also happens to me a lot because when I have something to solve I’m always thinking about the possible solution. Everyone either hates him or respects him but no matter what the secret romance with the administrator and his easiness to solve cases no other doctor can makes him do anything he wants and never gets fired. I can’t get enough of it. I’m always watching the show over and over again to learn all the medical terms and memorize all the diagnostics. He inspires me to want to become part of a Diagnostics team and make a change somewhere in the world solving mysteries and saving lives. “Yes, I knew it!” I thought to myself. At the end of the show it resulted it was a hallucination, he being pushed to the emergency room after being shot. He passed out again. It resulted the whole show was a hallucination. That’s when my parents where a little disappointed, I was fully engaged wondering what the patient really had and what was going to happen next.

Resources:
“No Reason.” House. Fox. 23 May 2006
“Sex Kills.” House. Fox. Donald. 7 March 2006

1. On a macro level (i.e., the big picture), specifically how have you revised your Artist's Statement? Why? Use specific examples from your first and second drafts in your answer. · I made paper longer because it was only two paragraphs and I needed to add much more detail and some characters to it.

2. Cite three specific sentences from your three different parts of your revised artist statement that directly address different parts of the prompt. Identify/explain what they address & how they work in your overall statement. · “I was fully engaged wondering what the patient really had and what was going to happen next.” It shows that I was getting into the habit of wondering what was next and starting to solve things. · “He inspires me to want to become part of a Diagnostics team and make a change somewhere in the world solving mysteries and saving lives.” Here I’m saying that I’m going to be part a doctor and be an icon to someone else and making them want to be like me and save lives. · “He bounces off ideas from his team. I do a lot of that especially with my friend Cesar.” It showing how I’m also bouncing off ideas and I will be able to pass this down to my kids and friends when the time comes.

3. How have you revised your Image? What is better about it now? What are your next steps? · At first I was going to take a picture in front of a hospital, instead I decided to take a picture watching the show showing that I’m absorbing all the information that’s going on,

4. How have you revised your Resources? What is better about them now? What are your next steps? · In my first draft I didn’t have any resources I just talked about Dr. House but not about a show or had any examples, but now I have an example of a show and a quote from another show.

No comments:

Post a Comment